Friday, July 9, 2010

Friday Morning: bribery in the kitchen

It's raining in Little Rock. At 8 am we went to the assigned room here at our living quarters to get the day's labs drawn. This saves us about 1.5 hrs wait at the clinic. Deb is getting very weak. After I got her back to the room, all she would eat was a few slices of peeled apple. Her appetite has gone south. She went to bed.

I queried her about food cravings and made my list. The choices are limited because of her vulnerability. The hotel shuttle drove me to the local Kroger where I scoured the place for goodies that might tantalize Deb's palate. I just returned and put things away. Deb is still asleep. She has to be in the clinic at 1 pm today. I think she will have to have a transfusion because her numbers were marginal and she is so weak today.

The clinic was so crowded yesterday that some patients elected to take their chemo in the waiting area. The new hospital clinic opens in about 3 weeks and then there will be plenty of room. I understand that the myeloma clinic presently can only tend 150 here at a time. The new digs should allow for much growth.

It's a shame there are so many cases of myeloma out there. But what a blessing to have such a resource available. We are so grateful!

Thanks for your prayers and support!

Vern

1 comment:

  1. While Little Rock is a good clinic, the overcrowding and sometimes lacking patient attention is a constant issue. More people should really consider the Huntsman Cancer Hosptial in Salt Lake City.

    The quality of the treatment is just as good, if not better. The doctors at the Huntsman are the same ones who developed the UAMS protocols, but they have moved out to a much nicer, much more well run facility at the Huntsman.

    I visited UAMS and considered having my stem cell transplants there, but after a visit to the Huntsman, there was no comparison between the two facilities. I really recommened that people take a look at both before they join the herd in Little Rock.

    ReplyDelete