Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Tuesday evening

After Deb's chemo this morning we were to get a take home infuser-a portable baby-bottle looking pressurized bottle that attaches to Deb's port.It never showed up in spite of numerous searches and a man sent to look for it. We waited and waited until I sensed that Deb had endured all she needed to, so I told the nurses that I was taking her home to feed her and get her in bed for a nap and then I'd be back to pick up the infuser. Sometimes a caregiver has to make things happen.

I brought her home and got her settled then went back. Finally the nurse found out that the administrator had never ordered it at all. Deb would have spent the day there!

Then I had to go to the hospital pharmacy. Last week angel-pharmacist Carla worked an entire day with all levels of Deb's insurance company trying to get Deb's essential pain killer refilled. We finally got enough pain meds to get us thru the weekend. So, in consult with her, I went to see Dr. Nair's angel-nurse Gina and she got a modified prescription that angel-pharmacist Carla thought would get past the hurdles the insurance company was throwing up. When I finally got the hand-signed script to Carla, she called it in and they immediately approved the pain killer! Way to go team! Carla went the extra ten miles to do what was right for Deb. Thanks!

I had to get refills of day-to-day meds as well and also supplies to use with Deb's port since I'm having to give her at-home infusions thru the port. It is still a very serious scary thing to mess with tubes connected almost into one's heart. But, it is much easier to do after practice.

So, late afternoon I was finally done and brought a large paper grocery bag of meds back. Deb was still resting so I made her some fresh Jello and tea. She ate one small bite of Jello and a tiny slice of peeled apple for supper. She is so tired and sleepy. Right now she is in her recliner and napping again. The chemo is really kicking in.

Nine am in the morning she gets labs, then at 10:30 the stem cell transplant.

My personal life right now is somewhat boring and I spend most of the evening browsing the internet and planning home improvements and airplane mods I'd like to do if I were home and able. I ordered a few study DVD's yesterday so I can renew my Flight Instructor Certificate by Sept. Have to do this every two years. Last night I found a video of the first guitar song I ever loved at about age 5 : Wildwood Flower by the Carter family performed by the family matriarch Mother Maybelle. It's also the first song I learned to play on an old guitar my grandfather bought from a soldier headed to the front in WWII. It sounded just like the old 78 RPM record I listened to with my grandmother back in the early '50's.

Makes me feel like a senior citizen when I start dwelling on the good old days so much.

How about you?

Vern

5 comments:

  1. Well Vern, we are at the Old Norton AFB. Ed's "plane" is due to fly back to Mojave airport tomorrow. Ed's pilot crew is awesome. All retired pilots who are above and beyond excellent! You are going to have tons of experience in many different fields for a very impressive resume' in case you ever want to change jobs. Keeping you both in our prayers! Y

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vern,
    I have that Senior Citizen feeling frequently and it starts when I get out of bed.
    Thanks for the pictures of the Fortress.
    May He hold you both in the palm of His Hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our thoughts and prayers are for a sucessful stem cell procedure. Blessings to you both. I love Wildwood Flower and have the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band with the carter famiy singing it. Love, David and Lina Swindall

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Vern & Deb,
    Praying for you as you face your stem cell transplant. I am so thankful for the technology to do life-saving techniques. Susan Norris Rogers (Tiny's daughter) had a kidney transplant last Friday and I think she is going home from the hospital today. Amazing, isn't it?
    Love the picture of Evelyn. She is so beautiful.
    Hugs and prayers,
    ♥Bruce & Daria

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are getting on in years (hehehehe). Glad I'm younger than you are! Give Deb a hug from me.

    ReplyDelete