Friday, December 14, 2012

Friday- Christmas Parties

I got a call from Trey around lunch saying that he and his family had arrived safely back in Brussels. PTL!

I worked today and came home after work for a short nap. Man, was I bushed! I am living in fatigue. I'll be glad when I am not so tired.

Tonight we had our company Christmas party. It was a sit down meal for the families with games, live music, gifts, and is very family friendly. Last year Deb was able to put on her happy face and attend like we have for 23 years. It was strange to be alone this year.

Afterwards I dropped by a friends home where my airplane group was having its Christmas party. Sixty friends who have built planes like mine were there.

At both locations it was hugs and encouragement. For many it was the first encounter with me since Deb passed. It is such an awkward moment for so many because they do not know what to say or how to act. I get it! That's the same way I feel when I am in the same circumstances. But as Deb used to say, we need to have a ministry of presence, especially when words fail us. Just be there!

Another friend sent this poem:

God has not promised
Skies always blue,
Flower-strewn pathways
All our lives through.

God has not promised
Sun without rain,
Joy without sorrow,
Peace without pain.

But God has promised
Strength for the day,
Rest for the laborer,
Light for the way,

Grace for the trials,
Help from above,
Unfailing sympathy,
Undying love.


Blessings!

3 comments:

  1. Tonight as I've watched the incredible sadness unfolding in Connecticut, I wished I could share with those left behind that a beautiful soul was waiting to wrap those baby angels with love!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Vern,
    We are thinking of you with love.
    Love, David & Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vernie,
    Warren P. and I are so greatful for your blogs. You really put your heart & soul out there with so much love for Debbie. I wish you could tell us the secrets of having a very happy marriage and how to get to the other side of the maze. It is extremely obvious even now how much you love your wife. You will never lose that feeling. So she left you with some mighty big shoes to fill.
    All our love,
    Warren & Faye P.

    ReplyDelete