Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Tuesday- Donations-Fatigue + Chores

DONATIONS
UAMS Myeloma Institute for Research and Therapy
http://myeloma.uams.edu/donation


Ever sell and house and just before you put it on the market you finally make all the improvements and repairs you should have already done...except the new owner gets to enjoy them, not you!

That's how I feel about some of the little chores I'm trying to get done for Deb, but she will not get to enjoy them! Things like replacing the dead azaleas by the front porch. A new toilet seat for the guest bedroom.  These are producing a touch of guilt in me. Why didn't I do these for Deb to enjoy?
But, I can't dwell there. We've done the best we could for the most part.

Today I went thru Deb's books and school teacher supplies. I found old school annuals and notes from students thanking her for her teaching. She had never shown me those. I did witness many students approach her and give her love and appreciation though.

Trey, Amanda, and I are still exhausted. Katka and Evelyn are going to try to come on Thursday. Pray for the on a 10 hour flight with a 2 year old who has been sick.

Today I was surprised to get a handful of sympathy cards and some sweet expressions of love. I had not even considered them coming.

Several folks have asked about donations in lieu of flowers. Deb and I so appreciate the three years of life extension she had at UAMS. Deb participated in 2 trials to help myeloma patients. One, Carfilzomib was just approved and is now available to anyone. Deb was in those clinical trials. Then the natural Killer Cell test...Deb was clinical trial person 6. Eventually this will save many people and be useful with other cancers and diseases.

Dr van Rhee said that Deb's contribution was to prove that the infusion of a close relative's expanded Killer cells can take hold in a patient and do their work well. By the way, Deb's actual death was caused by a blood virus, not the myeloma. Had she not had the virus, the battle against the myeloma would have continued.

On another topic, I am a participant in a group of airplane builders and today we were honored for Deb's loss to be on the front page of the website. Check out Dec 4, 2012  www.vansairforce.net.
Thanks Doug Reeves for letting Deb make the cover of 'the Rolling Stone! '
She would have been tickled!



DONATIONS
UAMS Myeloma Institute for Research and Therapy
http://myeloma.uams.edu/donation

No comments:

Post a Comment