Friday, June 4, 2010

Friday afternoon update

The room has been a three ring circus most of the day. Finishing a transfusion now and then an angiogram ?? I think they said .Deb was craving peanuts so I chased some down. She is now restricted to the bed so no strolls down the hall until they sort out this heart deal.

So- for my lunch I explored the facility a little after leaving my cell number with the nurse.

I ate lunch in a remote spot and had catfish,turnip greens, black eyed peas and hush puppies. Sure beat the funky sandwiches downstairs made on slices of jalopena cornbread instead of regular bread.

Tables were scarce so I shared a table for lunch with an older gentleman who was a WWII navy vet.He served on the light cruiser USS Savannah. He was in the engine room. He got hit by a German torpedo near Italy and almost sunk.After VE day, they took the un needed combat arms sailors home to the US and made about ten round trips ferrying GIs back to the states. He said they later sailed into the city of Savannah where the citizens thru a street party for the ships company.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Savannah_(CL-42)

Since the war he has been a rice farmer in S Arkansas. His son has taken over the family farm now.

Then I walked across the street to the medical school bookstore.I couldn't find anything on my reading level, so I came back to the room to be with Deb.

Note echo in progress

There are some smart cookies in medicine! As I people- watch here, I obverve a lot of fairly simple folk coming for treatment. It is so amazing how the very sharp and caring medical staff serves them.What a blessing that the capable serve the needy in this economy.

We had a Canadian nurse. She said that in Toronto where she was when socialized medicine became the law, they closed numerous hospitals in an attempt to not allow people into hospitals that did not need to be there.

Deb is napping now and having one of her strange conversations.

Hope you have a great weekend. You know where we will be!

Vern

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update. I wondered what was triggering this new dilemma. We keep her and YOU in our prayers. Why don't you go to the local library. They must have some temp. system for hospital groupies :).

    Hugs from us...Y

    ReplyDelete