Thursday, November 11, 2010

Veterans Day 2010

Today I held the door open at the hospital in Arkansas for an old vet who was proudly wearing his Purple Heart and Bronze Star medals! We had a Marine,and Army type, and me representing the USAF on the bus this afternoon. There were vets throughout the clinic today as patients and caregivers. Ironically, the civilian staff was off enjoying the 'holiday'. The hospital looked like a typical weekend day when most clinics are closed. But, as is usual,the Veterans were 'on duty.'

To all of you Vets out there in blogland, thanks for your service!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Deb had a long day. We found out that due to her having so many transfusions, she has developed antibodies that want to reject platelets and blood that are not very closely matched with her own system. This will be true the rest of her life and is important in case of an auto accident, etc when blood products are needed.

We shared the cluster with a pastor and his wife from Tampa. We enjoyed talking church and comparing notes.

Deb got antibiotics, blood, platelets, fluids, and meds today.

Tomorrow is more of the same. Although we are finally seeing the finish line it for the Dr appointment next Thursday, it will be a real miracle if she is ready to head home on Friday. Most likely we will be here thru the weekend so her blood can continue to recover and we can get the line removed. Remember: very little happens in the hospital on weekends! As much as we want to get home, it would be awful to leave our support system and come home to nothing. We want her truly recovering.

Blessings all!

2 comments:

  1. I went to check on my parents for a couple of days; at their house I don't have internet. One of the first things I did when arriving home was to check your blog. The last update I read was from Amanda, which I really appreciated, but I was concerned about you two. Thanks for catching me up on how you are doing. I am sorry it is so rough right now for both of you. I am continuing to pray and so look forward to having you home....I'm eagerly awaiting a visit in the sunroom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vern & Deb,
    I read these words from another man whose wife is fighting cancer and I thought of you guys:"There are times now when we feel like tightrope walkers, inching along a wire, high over a chasm in a strong wind. But then we think of our "safety net" - our fellow Christians and the steady outpouring of heartfelt messages of prayer that reinforce our confidence, courage, and hope. The journey would be near impossible without this support. We take joy and strength from the certainty that we are not alone and that we are in God's hands. Praise God!" I am so thankful for your "safety net"-- your faithful supportive friends and family members that keep you lifted up in prayer on a daily basis.
    ♥Bruce & Daria

    ReplyDelete