Sunday, April 18, 2010

Rest on the 'day of rest' and a medal deserved

Last night Deb got to the house and we manuevered her into her lift chair for a nap so she could be ready for her hospital bed at 10:15pm. She slept all night (no potty breaks!) until about 9:30 this morning. Her left side was/is really hurting making us wonder about the possibility of more injury from the hotel van bounce I previously described.

After a little cheese toast and watermelon (the breakfast of true champions!), Deb resettled into the lift chair and took another nap. After church let out, a group of friends dropped by for a short visit and prayer for Deb. When I answered the door, there was a beautiful gift basket sitting there full of all sorts of 'distracting' attractions. Later, Deb and I enjoyed a lovely meal some of you provided! Thanks friends!

Deb has an overwhelming sense and verbalization of gratitude. She realized that bitterness and unforgiveness only hurts her, so she has had several prayer times to specifically forgive and pray blessings on those who have hurt her in the past. Amazing women! She's been inspirational to me!

Deb is really undergoing a trial here and in my opinion is really shining! I feel that she is so much stronger than me on the inside. Would I choose that little scraggly little tree hanging onto a desolate rocky crag to motivate me to hang on no matter what? Would I joyfully fast 3 days while doing 15-16 hour days of testing? Would I encourage every being I encounter and ignore my own status? Well folks, that's what Deb is doing!

She said today to our beloved family doctor Chuck that she might not win this battle but she would die fighting if she ultimately lost the battle. That kind of heroism is amazing to me!

They give medals for that kind of stuff, don't they?

Vern

5 comments:

  1. That is our Deb! She is a strong woman!! Love and hugs!
    Mia and Bill

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallelujah! You are home! We have been in and out of town, but always praying. Deb, you are amazing and so are Vern and Amanda. We praise God for the thoughtful people He has surrounding you now. Wish we could be there too. So very very sorry about the bus driver. We send you gentle hugs! Love, Steve and Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love you guys so much. Rejoicing with you in every victory!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I feel that she is so much stronger than me on the inside. Would I choose that little scraggly little tree hanging onto a desolate rocky crag to motivate me to hang on no matter what? Would I joyfully fast 3 days while doing 15-16 hour days of testing? Would I encourage every being I encounter and ignore my own status? "
    I feel this about Stuart.
    I don't know how he did what he did...and with a good attitude. Stuart and Deb are very brave.

    However, I also want to say that a caretaker has to be very brave too. Your life is immensely effected. When the patient is asleep, in pain, sick...you are there - many times alone. When Deb gets scared, you are there to give her courage (when usually you have none to spare). When Deb isn't sleeping or needs to get up in the middle of the night, you are there...usually when you desperately need your own sleep. When Deb gets angry, which she will - usually from medications, you take it and love her gently.
    The caretaker needs care. I am glad you are letting people in to help you in some ways.

    I really am sorry you all are going through this.
    Every three months when we get a scan, I think, :Lord, I can't do that again." But I could with His help, and I would if that is where we found ourselves. It is with great gratitude that we are still in remission. You will be too, before you know it.
    Sorry so long!
    Canadce

    ReplyDelete
  5. Deb:

    I wish you well and God will be on your side--I'm convinced of it! All you have to do is believe in Him and keep on believing. And I'll pray!

    ReplyDelete