Monday, August 16, 2010

More Tuesday+

...After we finished chemo this afternoon Deb attended several hours of skin care class along with several other women with cancer. I browsed the Medical school bookstore and was impressed by what I don't know while she was in class.

Because we have the car here, we went to eat supper before Deb's white blood cells go down. Then we went to the Whole Foods and picked up some organic foods. Deb was craving radishes. We bought 2 large bundles and I cleaned them carefully and put them in a plastic container. She munches on them like candy. Not my thing!

I found my favorite food -scuppernongs from Georgia! Those are the American wild grapes. Bronze are scuppernongs; purple are muscadines. My grandfather had an overhead arbor. At one time he probably had over 100' growing along an 8' fence also. Hunting,walking in the woods, or down a country dirt road and discovering some on a vine has always the ultimate treat for me. They are typically ripe for picking in the heat of August. I've always thought that the two absolute essentials of Southern life were boiled peanuts and scuppernongs. Yankees have neither, and look how cross they can be!  ;)

Deb's legs and feet are swelling a great deal and the chemo is beginning to bite her. She will be housebound soon.

We stopped by Michaels and got a drawing pad and some pencils so she can work on her hand action. She has pretty bad hand shakes. You did know Deb is very artistic, did you not? She has charcoals and oil paintings hanging around the house. Now that she has retired, I am hoping she will enjoy those hobbies more. She also designs and makes jewelry from gold, silver, and semi-precious stones. Hopefully the shakes will end so she has the steadiness required.

3 comments:

  1. Boiled peanuts, radishes, and scuppernongs ... not my thing. Give me pizza and chocolate. Not necessarily together. I did not know Deb is artistic. She'll be back at it soon. Of that I'm sure!

    From a "cross" Yankee ... hehehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Scuppernongs, boiled peanuts, and popsicles...sounds like heaven to me. Now radishes are a separate category. Good at times in smaller quantities. Southerners do know how to eat, though. We have delicate and refined palates, don't we? Sho nuff.
    ♥Bruce & Daria

    ReplyDelete
  3. Scuppernongs!!!! I love them!
    My grandmother in Alabama would always bring huge bucketfulls down to us in Mobile.....as a kid, I would sit and eat huge masses of them - with a "spit" bowl beside me for the seeds.

    One of my favorite memories. I love those and haven't had them in YEARS!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete