Sunday, August 29, 2010

Egyptian Classmates

This morning while gathering our Continental breakfast from the hotel chow room, I met and spent a few minutes with Mo and Ekana from Cairo. They had been at the Cleveland Clinic for two years and are now here for myeloma treatment. He has been unable to produce enough stem cells for collection due to having been previously medicated at the other clinic.

I asked Ekana if she still cooks in Arabic style and she lit up! She was so excited that I even knew about Arabic food. I told her about an exchange AF Officer years ago who had treated us to a traditional Saudi family meal. Deb and I also enjoyed the Turkish foods so much when we toured Turkey.

We've seen that the best outcome classmates are the ones whose total treatments have been here. The ones with the biggest problems have been those who had chemo and radiation elsewhere on a 'standard' treatment. This is not a standard-meeting disease. It is varied in each patient and I suppose the custom treatment plans here in Arkansas give the best results for that reason.

Heading out for the clinic now. Deb is happy but weak.

Have a great Sunday!

Vern

No comments:

Post a Comment