Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sunday Soul Food

Deb was weak but able to go to the clinic using her walker. She's so cute pressing forward on that thing! Don't get in her way!

We had a long wait and some classmates who arrived well after we did were called back into the chemo rooms, finished and left caused Deb's strong sense of fairness to kick in. We couldn't understand why our appointment was taking so long; anyway, by the time she got called in, she was an emotional mess. She had all she could take. She cried and the nurse and I comforted her the best we could.

Eventually we finished and as we boarded the shuttle bus, Deb was telling me she was craving pinto beans and cornbread for lunch. It so happened that as Antoine was driving back to the hotel, he got a call and was taking down a food order for the front desk lady-Latoya. I overheard and asked where he was going to get that kind of food and he told me. I asked if we could drop Deb at the room and go get a takeout order there together. He happily agreed. So, with Deb settled down, Antoine and I started off in a different direction to an unknown-to-me restaurant. On the way, Latoya, now understanding that I was with Antoine, called him and wanted to make sure that I understood where he was taking me and for him to 'take care of me.'

When we arrived, there was a crowd and we joined in the line of 100% black families there for Sunday lunch. I was very much under-dressed and the only white guy there. There was never a problem and they treated me just like everyone else. We laughed at Latoya's concern for me. Of course, at about seven feet tall, Antoine made a good companion: who would have messed with me anyway today?

Antoine and I enjoyed chatting; he's never  been to Atlanta, so I tried to update him of the black cultural venues in Atlanta. He is a would-be entertainer and is very interested.

Deb enjoyed her beans and cornbread along with the bonus fried chicken and mac and cheese.
With her appetite so variable and her weight up and down, I try hard to meet Deb's cravings. It's one of the few pleasures she has.

Blessings all!

Vern

2 comments:

  1. Sending good vibes from Georgia to Arkansas daily. You two hurry home to us! Miss you!!! Praying with you and your amazing journey. Love, love! gLou

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss Southern Cookin' here in S. Calif.! So thankful that you can enjoy food from time to time.

    Hugs and blessing to you both, Y

    ReplyDelete