Friday, November 30, 2012

First Day in Heaven + Details

Celebration of Deb's Life
Saturday, Dec 8, 2012
11am EST
Grace Evangelical Church
164 Flat Creek Trail
Fayetteville, GA
30214

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
A few of the cupcakes

Deb's Final Chore List: Deb loved and appreciated all the staff here at UAMS so much. In fact, she was trying to get me to host a luncheon for them, but I explained how there was no way to get everyone together and still care for the other patients. So, Deb settled on cupcakes! 

Amanda and I have just returned from delivering beaucoup cupcakes to the infusion center, the pharmacy, and to the myeloma wing of the hospital.  Along the way we encountered staff who knew about Deb's passing and gave us hugs, shocked faces from those who not yet learned of it, and a number of classmates who encouraged us. It was hard to go back to the places where Deb and I spent so much time over the last 3 years. I had many tears and a huge lump in my throat. Yet, those faces of the dear staff members who gave max effort to help Deb extend life are in the 'friends forever ' category as much as a foxhole buddy who saved a fellow soldier in a battle would be.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Amanda and I have been checking off items on our to-do list since last night. We have gone through all Deb's clothing and distributed it. We have packed up boxes to be shipped home, tried to hire a trucker to haul the furniture home, and contacted insurance, realtors, etc. Trucker was too expensive so I'll u Haul it in a few weeks.

Tomorrow I plan on listing the condo, so if you know any classmates who need a nest in Little Rock, it would be a good time to call or email.

Friends are flying Gracie out to Little Rock on Sunday to pick me up. Another friend will fly Redbird home. Amanda is waiting to hear about a possible buddy pass. Her dear husband Jon is driving a 2.5 year old and a 6 month old almost 600 miles home as I write. I'd like to get her home today. So would Jon! Thanks Jon!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

In an hour or so Amanda and I will pick up Deb's remains. Cremation is uncommon in my family, but Deb wanted it. It is becoming more popular so we'd better get used to it. I was in a Japanese family home a few years back and the man said he'd like me to meet his parents. Rounding the corner, he pointed to two urns on the mantle and introduced me to them as if his parents were sitting there.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++
This blog will continue for at least a while longer. I would welcome your suggestions on what to do with the blog.

After all, death and all it entails is a part of our lives and we should all face it well prepared because it will come for all of us! Are you ready?

+++++++++++++++++++++++++

Finally, this morning Amanda and I hugged and prayed  at the 7:45 am time of Deb's passing +24 hours. We talked a lot about a special lady. At the Celebration Service we hope you will share your stories about Deb. We want it to be a joyful celebration, not a dreary funeral! Wear your smiles because Deb is no longer suffering and is in the presence of the Most High!

I have been pondering what these 24 hours have been like for Deb. Many people speculate what Heaven must be like. Even non-religious folk like to talk and imagine heaven. What Deb and I know comes from the Bible, and there are not too many details there. Knowledge is somewhat obscured like looking through an opaque window.

An old gospel song writer gave it his best shot and I recommend it to stimulate your thinking. It may not be sound theologically but it's a starting place and I've always enjoyed it.

The song? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKIt1YXDvpk



4 comments:

  1. When I got home today and checked the blog, I listened to the song and thinking of Debbie on her first day in heaven brought a smile to my face and a tear or two. I am so looking forward to the joyful celebration of her life next Saturday. Praying for all of you.
    Love, Mary & Warren

    ReplyDelete
  2. Know anybody in the publishing business? haha I think you should publish this blog for yourself, for your children and others who may have to make this journey. Jim and I are amazed at Friday's entry.....only God could give you the strength to do and write such things. Praying that all of Deb's dreams and desires for her family come true, and that God would comfort each of you. Love and blessings, Jim and Doris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just now reading this past week's worth of blog entries, so I'm late with my comments.

    Your blog has been a blessing to me... as I've said before, you and Deb have been teaching us all how to behave as God's children should during a crisis. Thank you for letting Him shine through you. I wish I had been able to know Deb better while she was healthy, but I'm grateful for the portrait of her heart that you painted every day on this blog. I have the utmost respect for her, and for you.

    I know that you will have tough days ahead, Vern, and my heart aches for you. Of course, you know I would love the Gaither song you linked! Thanks for the smile it brought, through my tears.

    Love,
    Janice

    ReplyDelete