Sunday, October 17, 2010

Sunday outing

Saturday was very active for Deb. She has energy for one event per day but had more on her schedule Saturday.

Looking at baby pix

Our goal was to rise early Sunday morning and go see Deb's mom Doris Gean in a nursing home in Warner Robins and perhaps take her to lunch. I got up at 6 am and hit the tub of mail and bills that had accumulated during our time away. I hate to awaken Deb when she is sleeping soundly. So, I kept creeping in to check on her. She was sleeping so hard that I let her sleep until 9:45 before getting her up. She was still very tired but agreed that she could sleep while traveling and get by. So, off we drove!

Doris has been living in the same nursing home my grandma Darley lived and where my Aunt Betty worked in as a nurse. It was so familiar! Doris was overwhelmed to see Deb. We gathered under a huge oak tree in the yard and soon my sister Kay and her husband Lee arrived and joined us. Right after that Deb's brother Tim, wife Brenda, and her ten year old son Billie arrived. I borrowed some chairs from inside and we all enjoyed the gentle breeze together. We stayed for hours visiting and then I brought Deb home. It's about 2 hours each way.

Soon after we arrived home we had a knock on the door and found that my uncle Alton Foster and aunt Esther had come up for a visit. They live in Grey, Ga and had come to check on Deb. We had a lovely visit. During the Korean war while my father was serving in the AF, my mother, sister, and I lived with 'Unk' and my grandparents. So, in many ways, he is like an older brother to me. He bought me my first baseball glove and taught me to play catch. Still had that old glove from about 1957 until it finally fell apart a few years ago. It was a first baseman's glove.

After 'Unk' and Esther left we had a snack, watched a special on elephants, and finally went to bed.

It's been another very active day! It sure is good to be home! No place like it!

2 comments:

  1. Hey,
    Welcome home Vern & Deb, and Happy Belated Birthday! I know it must be wonderful to be home. Enjoy, rest, and relax. The weather and leaves are gorgeous and life is great. We rejoice with you.
    ♥Bruce and Daria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad to see you are back home. Prayers continue from the Needle Family!
    Josh,Anna,Bess & Layla

    ReplyDelete