Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Tuesday night-Back in our own room!

Deb during her morning nap after we finally got into the cancer clinic.

We had the plumbing adventures of last night and Deb did not feel well when we got into the clinic this morning. We did get rid of 'the bag' today. Deb is so glad! She needed more fluids and a bag of platelets. After the labs came back they gave her a second bag of platelets. They wanted to have her stay several more hours for more infusions but we talked them into putting the meds in an infuser so I could get her home and infuse in the apartment.

The plumbers got the problems solved and the hotel cleaners did a good job of cleaning up our polluted room. Because Deb's white blood count is still almost zip...0.11 for the second day in a row....I elected to let her nap in the substitute room while I came up and did another antiseptic cleaning job of our kitchen, bath, and door knobs, etc. Remember, only one nasty germ can cause mayhem (like the current TV commercial). When I was done cleaning I brought her back to our room and then carted our stuff back up three flights of stairs. Good exercise!

After supper she began to feel better. It's amazing how simple things like transfusions make live better. Our forefathers surely suffered much! We are so grateful for the resources available today.

Tonight I had to get us moved back in and re-organized. Then it was pill sorting time. I keep a seven-day rotation going. Since our inventory of some meds is low, I had to make a med order with the hospital pharmacy. So, finally, it's blog time!

There are several men here at the apartments who are fellow caregivers and we support one another. One lives a more simple life on his old Tennessee family farm (275 acres) and raises virtually all his own food. The other is a yankee who married a Southern belle and is still learning Southern ways. While we were waiting today at the clinic we had a great discussion about preparing hogs, rabbits, deer, fish, etc. It is amazing how my one friend lives the life that Organic Gardening and Mother Earth News purport without ever having read those publications. The writers make that lifestyle seem so glamorous but it is the life many of our family members lived until the migration into cities brought on by WWII.

I really appreciate the feedback from you folks out there in blogland! Sometimes when you are quiet I feel like I'm writing notes, putting them in a bottle, and casting them into the sea. Only with feedback do I know anyone even reads this missive.

Blessings all!

3 comments:

  1. Keep blogging Vern, I read almost every day so I know how to pray for yall.
    Neal

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vern, your blogs are daily testimonies of what committed love in a marriage is all about. You are modeling it with every act of care giving. I appreciate your keeping us updated even when you are exhausted and giving us a window into your lives. Praying for you and Deb!
    Mary Roberts

    ReplyDelete