Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Evening update


Got home finally and Deb is physically weaker, and continues to be confused about time and info. At the hospital she aggressively tried to 'escape' me. I had to chase her down and re-direct her back to where we needed to be.She can move that walker pretty fast! It was scary for me!

She is mostly sitting with her eyes closed mouth agape and murmuring about unknown topics. I'll be glad when she 'comes home'. Earlier today she fell asleep on the toilet and was belligerent about finishing her business so we could get back to the clinic. It's a delicate tight-rope I'm walking right now.

The nurse that calmed her earlier came and loved on her some more-see pix above. Thanks,angel nurse!

On the bus home, the Thai lady I mentioned earlier said she had been packed and ready to leave for the airport when Dr.Barloge contacted her. Tests show she needs three more weeks of a chemo cocktail he's making for her. In three attempts to collect stem cells she has not produced enough for a transplant, and at age 80, she knows it would overstress her tiny body.

On the bus we were kidding her that the good doctor's motorcycle bill is due! We all had a good laugh about that!

One of our classmates we have been sitting with daily became so feeble she was admitted to the hospital for at least a week. Her husband-caregiver made a special trip down to the waiting room to tell us.

Israel's son David rented a car so they are now traveling separately. David greets us with words; Israel mostly nods at us. In the waiting room they sit apart from everyone and spend the time in two identical red bound Old Testaments.It seems that father is teaching Hebrew lessons.David is intensely attentive to the old man. David looks to be in his thirties and runs a pay phone business in Brooklyn. Israel explained that his business was comparable to the horseshoe business: years ago there were 2,000 mfgs of horseshoes in the USA: today there are 2. I'm not convinced about that business model.

It will be an interesting night,I'm sure. Appreciate the prayers!

Vern

++++++++++++++++++++++

Note: Quiet late evening and now asleep in bed.

2 comments:

  1. I am so sorry!
    Care-taking is not for the faint of heart.
    I remember when Stuart would feel so bad and be so "moody". Bless her heart and yours...God's grace is sufficient.
    I pray this part passes quickly.
    Praying,
    Candace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vern: I remember when John came out of surgery and was on some pretty strong meds how lonely it got--I was so thankful to have him alive and progressing well, but the caregiver has a lonely task. With his trach, it was hard to communicate--and I usually only had one chance to get it right (which I failed at miserably)! Some of the most lonely and frustrating memories I have, he has absolutely no remembrance of! I did have a great group of people locally to support me and help me with the day-to-day needs of living. Even with them, I was so lonely because I so missed my "partner". In your case, you don't have your support group there physically. I am so grateful God is giving you so many angels to tend to you and Deb. You have been in our prayers as much as Deb--yours is a lonely and scary place with so much need for ministry all around! You go, man! You are doing so great--a mighty warrior in God's Kingdom army!! We pray for you two continually. Thanks for the updates so we can pray more specifically!! Love you, Barbara (and John)

    ReplyDelete