Saturday, May 22, 2010

UGA 'Classmate'-from Vern & Deb

As you remember, I call our fellow patients/caregivers 'classmates'

Well,in the parking lot I saw a familiar sight. Georgia plates! Yes, and from Clarke County- ATHENS, GA ! I'm a Bulldog, class of '72, and Trey and Amanda are grads.

It didn't take long to track down the classmate, a PhD in immunology at the UGA Vet school. He's been coming here since last Sept. Originally he had gone to a local Oncologist who told his family he only had two months to live. Then he started researching Multiple Myeloma and found someone who had spent $250,000 at the Mayo Clinic only to be told by their staff they should have sent him to Arkansas.

So he came here! He say's this is the place and the research and results gotten here are the best in the world.

I had several extended conversations with my Jewish friend Israel from Brooklyn who told a similar story about NYU Hospital.

So, we are greatly encouraged after talking to the PhD about what's going on here in Arkansas.

And Deb says

'This has been a good day...nothing went haywire. I did have to have a bag of "juice" because of the fasting yesterday. But, other than that, it's been quiet and restful. I felt lifted by your prayers. Thank you for sharing your life events with us. I am still surprised at my low energy level. I was wiped out this morning for 3 hours following a trip in to the lab. But, a nap helped that so we could do it again at 4. We are having watermelon for supper.

PRAYER REQUEST: There is still a section of my middle back and right rib cage (front and back) that always hurt. This weekend is an experiment on timing and I am supposed to report back Monday to Dr. Nair's nurse. Pain registers as infection and my numbers have really gone up there. They did 4 cultures last night to eliminate possible common infections to be on the safe side. Vern brought home a portable infection infusion unit perchance my temperature reaches 101.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like Israel has a new friend. Nite Israel

    Looks like Deb got watermelon. Harold did to.

    What a team you two are. Wow!!!

    ReplyDelete