Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Wednesday night, Culinary surprise, and Prayer Needs

I called our small group tonight. I think they passed the phone around the group. I was able to hear everyone clearly. I realize that I just rudely interrupted them. I trust they will forgive me. It was so wonderful to me for get a touch of home. I miss them. They are such a delightful group of people and I am so happy that they welcome Vern and me.

Trey and Stephen love cooking. They got it from their dad. Tonight was that wonderful organic salad, organic corn-on-the-cob, and the BEST tilapia. Too Good! Too Good!

I have been on time released fenytanyl patches that had to be replaced every three days. They are convenient and keep my pain in good control and I really love the ease of pain control. But, and it's a big but, I am allergic to the adhesive and the skin underneath is burned. Areas up and down by arms, legs, etc. are covered with various levels of burns. The burns do not heal quickly.They are about 3" x 4".

This allergy is genetic. My late father and now my brother Tim can only use silk tape. This problem complicates things for me also. A very short time using their cover left a circle of clear water blisters on my skin that took two weeks to recover. I returned to Little Rock armed with this information but not the solution. The alternative materials must be replaced DAILY and that will damage the skin also.

{note from Vern-There is a device called a Cook port that is cut into a major vein in the neck that is actually stitched to Deb's flesh. It divides into three separate tubes that allow meds to be put into Deb's vein just above the heart. Since it is so close to the heart and subject to a deadly infection, it is treated very carefully. That's why Deb gets no showers until this thing is removed.}

Yesterday the wonderful Infusion nurse developed a way to the 7-day patch. So, today when the dressing had to be replaced we used her method. Vern and I left with the instruction to call if we noticed the skin getting redder or itching. Everything was fine until after the infusion center closed. It is not much but it is there. I took a Benadryl and are asking you to pray that this works. Or if it doesn't, that my skin will not be damaged.

I am having a procedure tomorrow morning for which I would appreciate your prayer, but I am getting very sleepy. Since Vern proofs these for me I need to give it to him.
Much love.
Deb

4 comments:

  1. I got up to get a drink of water and checked your blog. I'll go back to bed knowing how to pray!I am praying now that your new procedure works and that you are able to sleep well and arise with no redness and itching.
    Love, Mary Roberts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vern & Deb,
    Prayed for you all the way to work today. I heard about a new cancer drug yesterday that works on leukemia called "Gleevac". Haven't had time to research it yet, but people taking this medicine who have had leukemia have gone into remission and have been cancer-free for a long time with no reoccurence. Praise the Lord! Maybe this drug or something similar will be available for you in the near future. I am praying for that as well as praying for you Deb, for strength, healing, positive reaction and effectiveness of your meds, ability to rest, and relief from pain. For Vern, strength, wisdom, good health, ability to rest, and increased domesticity! (somebody has to do all that cooking and cleaning!!)
    Much love and many prayer,
    Bruce and Daria ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Praying for you both this morning. I am familiar with that allergy reaction. Don was allergic to the adhesive in tape - we discovered when he had an emergency surgery and they taped a nasal tube to his nose - the reaction to the tape took longer to heal than his incision! Sounds like you are eating healthy which is another path toward healing. Thanks for the blog reports. I check it daily....Cindy J.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for Deb in many ways. But also for you, Vern as you take care of your wife. I know this is all very difficult for both of you. Praying that God will give great endurance and healing for your skin, Deb...
    Kim Green

    ReplyDelete