Monday, May 17, 2010

Monday morning

Great nights sleep until 3:45 am when some meds kicked in and that was the end of last night! Deb said 'these are my good days before the chemo wipes me out?'

She's a pitiful pup right now. She can barely swallow. Because of the port cut into her jugular,she cannot shower or wash her hair. I wrap her upper body in Press 'n Seal and squeeze a wash clothe out hard,then give her careful spit baths. Ever washed someone's thick hair with a squeezed-out wash rag? (works great on my pate though)

She's dragging a bag around (actually-I have to carry it) that contains the portable chemo pumps, and clothing choices are slim because whatever she wears must fit over the tubes and make medical care,potty breaks, etc as convenient as possible.In order to save her kidneys,she has to drink constantly.Her speech is slurred by meds and she hallucinates and talks to invisible beings. Did I mention that she's beautiful and I love her so?

In spite of all that, Deb is so loving and concerned about others. In just about every waiting room, she sits next to another pitiful suffering lady and strikes up an encouraging new friendship. She's leaves them built up and their day brighter.

Because of the swallowing issue, Deb is beginning to go on soft foods for a while. Picture mashed 'taters, jello, applesauce, and other such delicacies. Yum, yum!

We are so blessed by our circumstances and by each of you. Many of you responded to my appeal for current news from YOUR life. Thanks! Keep 'em coming. See email addresses on the right side under CONTACTS.

Blessings on your day

Vern

2 comments:

  1. Hi Vern & Deb,
    Just a quick note to let you know you are on my mind. The verse that came to mind for you today is: "But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint." Is. 40:30-31.
    Today is Bruce's first day back at work since his shoulder surgery. I think he is glad to be back. He usually travels almost every week, but his boss (not me, the other one) told him he can't travel for 2 weeks. I told him the same thing but he doesn't listen to me.
    I am thankful you have Vern. I am sure you consider him pretty nice to have around.
    We love you and we are praying for you both,
    ♥ Bruce & Daria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Uncle Vern! We are up in Boston and the investing confernce is under way for Frank and Joseph. There are a lot of French speakers around here, as well as many other Europeans. Who knew that Boston was so popular to visit? I guess it makes sense, though, since there's so much history here. But I'm enjoying listening in on the French at least. Our cab driver was a Haitian, he was talking it up on the phone with a buddy and wow, it really is another language altogether, but he understood me fine when I spoke to him in French after the ride. :) Love y'all.

    -B.J.

    ReplyDelete