Thursday, May 13, 2010

Thursday evening

No time to put out any news this morning. Deb had a miserable night which means I did also!

Remember, 'when momma's not happy, no one's happy!' It's TRUE!

The change from one pain killer to another is really dragging her down. At bedtime last night we tried to get her into her bed that she's been sleeping in the last few days. When she was flat on the bed and pillow, she began having muscle spasms in her back in the region where vertabrae were most recently repaired. Her face turned bright red, and her breathing almost stopped. We had to get her up ASAP. We tried a number of other ways to no avail. So, she slept in a chair. Tried that lately?

Today she had a bone marrow test. I assisted in keeping her calm while two techs did the painful bloody procedure. Basically,they get a sample of her pelvic bone and the bone marrow inside it. Deb was so courageous in enduring it.

After the chemo that she took today takes affect, she will get another bone marrow test Saturday. She took one several weeks ago prior to any meds to establish a genetic baseline, one today to genetically monitor the affect of the last chemo, and of course,the test Saturday will be recorded.That way, an automated chemo injection kit will be loaded with a customized cocktail of various drugs that she will carry about for 4-5 days. It is motorized to provide automated unattended injections thru the three prongs of her port cut into her neck vein. Can't wait! 'The bag!'

Today we had a consult with our super-nurse who is overseeing Deb's chemo program. She consulted with Dr. Nair about the back spasms last night. In order to look for any possible new back fractures, he ordered another xray.Otherwise, the pain will be attributed to the cancer. They feel that Deb will begin to feel better after the chemo has killed the cancers cells off. Unfortunately, many other cells including Deb's immune system will be killed in the coming days. She will be incredibly vulnerable to infections.Therefore,we have all manner of sprays, wipes, masks,etc.

Tonight I have some very small zip lock baggies that I have to sort out and label for meds. There are so many which will be given in the next 2 weeks in specific times and numbers that my heads spins trying to sort them out. There are four periods per day to take meds and some quantities are up to ten each. We had to sign agreements with the manufacturers of some which were shipped directly for us.

In watching the dedication and intensity of these medical providers here,I can see how some would lose themselves in medicine and not have a life outside the clinics and hospitals.In fact, the head of the whole cancer program has one outside interest he allows himself: a bright red motorcycle. It seems to always be here in his reserved parking spot. Supposedly, the board of directors here have begged him to dump it, but he insists it is his one 'normal' activity he allows himself and enjoys.

Vern

6 comments:

  1. Deb and Vern, we are praying for a good nights rest for you both. Love, David and Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am praying specifically for comfort, peace, and rest for you, Deb. There is a mighty battle taking place in you as the drugs try to take care of business inside your body.
    Sometimes, when we are the weariest, rest can be the most difficult. Psalm 46:10 reminds us to "be still and know that I am God." I like to put on some soft, beautiful music and try to apply this verse specifically. I try to picture God's healing comfort like thick, warm, blue syrup flowing down through my muscles and body cells, coating everything and soothing as it flows throughout my body.

    Be still, MY MUSCLES, and know God's RELAXATION.

    Be still, MY NERVES, and know God's REST.

    Be still, MY HEART, and know God's QUIETNESS.

    Be still, MY BODY, and know God's RENEWAL.

    Be still, MY MIND, and know God's PEACE.

    Sending you wishes of peaceful rest and relaxation,
    Love,
    Bruce and Daria ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know that many who love you, Deb, are feeling very much as though in a spiritual way - they (we) are sharing your pain during these hard days and nights of battle.

    I'm praying that held gently within the loving arms of our Lord, and Vern's, you will be comforted. You (both) are not alone.

    After reading this post I am putting a dime in my shoe this morning which will help to remind me throughout my day to stop and be in focus before the throne of God's grace on your behalf.

    Love2you.

    Cecil

    ReplyDelete
  4. All day today, I am very much with you. So much that at times I actually can feel some of your pain. I will talk to you soon. lisa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry Deb's experiencing more pain right now. I'm praying for immediate relief from it. Like my friend battling ovarian cancer says, she visualizes the nasty cancer cells being killed off, one by one. So that's what I'll be picturing as you go through chemo and I ask God to heal you and comfort you. You both are showing amazing strength and deep-rooted faith. I think of you throughout the day and pray for continual improvement. All my love to you.
    Angela C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am at work and took a minute on break to visit your "journey" blog. It was still on my computer when I started taking calls again. After I resolved her concern this caller from CA ask if there was anyone I would like her to pray for. I gave her your name and right then and there on the phone this FC&A customer lifted you in the most beautiful prayer. What a spiritual moment. I believe that every minute of everyday you are wrapped in prayer sometimes in an unexpected way. Praise the Lord...

    Sandee

    ReplyDelete